Hip Pain Specialist Questions and Answers
The hips and knees are the body’s largest joints, so pain in these joints can be crippling. We can help a lot, though, here at Total Wellness Medical Centre. Our medical professionals in in Claymont, DE can evaluate your pain and your symptoms, and relieve even chronic and crippling pain while addressing the underlying cause of your pain in the first place. For more information, please call us or request an appointment online.
Table of Contents:
The hip is one of the biggest joints in the body and is essential for basic functions like walking and running. It connects the biggest bone in the body—the femur—to the pelvis. Just like every other joint in the body, the hips are subjected to wear and tear over time. This gradual deterioration happens slowly and often results in localized pain. Hip pain can severely reduce an individual’s range of motion and mobility, which has negative effects on a person’s overall quality of life. All kinds of hip pain—even seemingly minor pain—should be evaluated by a medical professional to rule out any significant damage and to minimize the chance of future complications.
There are several causes of hip pain, including:
• Arthritis is a major cause of hip pain and typically falls into one of the following categories:
– Osteoarthritis (disease causing the breakdown of joints)
– Psoriatic arthritis
– Rheumatoid arthritis (inflammatory joint disease)
– Septic arthritis
• Injuries are another common cause of hip pain and can result from a traumatic impact, to overuse, including:
– Bursitis (joint inflammation)
– Hip fracture
– Hip labral tear
– Inguinal hernia
– Pinched nerves
– Meralgia paresthesia
• Conditions that cause hip pain include:
– Osteomyelitis (a bone infection)
The first signs that indicate hip problems include:
• Hip pain or groin pain
• Stiffness of the hip joint
• Swelling and tenderness of the hip
Depending on the cause of hip pain, these symptoms can greatly vary. If left untreated, hip pain can severely impede upon one’s ability to perform even basic functions, which is why it is so important to receive a professional medical evaluation from a hip pain specialist.
Hip pain may be serious if:
• The joint appears deformed
• It is difficult to move the legs or hips
• The hip cannot bear weight on affected side
• Intense pain is present
• Sudden swelling occurs
• Any signs of infection (fever, chills, redness) occur alongside hip pain
• Pain does not improve after two weeks
• Pain interferes with day-to-day activities
The treatment for hip pain largely depends on its cause, its severity, a patient’s medical history, the age of the patient and how well the patient responds to the treatment. At Total Wellness Medical Centre, we use the following therapies to treat hip pain:
• Regenerative Medicine— The amazing field of regenerative medicine focuses on restoring normal function and repairing tissue damage that results in pain. This branch of medicine utilizes natural treatments that produce long term benefits.
• Chiropractic— Chiropractors believe in addressing the underlying cause of pain so that it no longer presents a problem, which is much more effective than temporarily masking it with prescription pain medications.
• Rehabilitation Therapy— Rehabilitation therapy can help improve hip pain as it focuses on strengthening the muscles and joints and relearning functions. It is an effective treatment to relieve pain that does not rely on the use of drugs or surgery.
• Nutrition Therapy — Certain types of food can cause inflammation in the joints, which can cause pain and exacerbate pre-existing pain. We take a look at nutrition to see if an individual’s diet is the culprit of hip pain.
If you are experiencing hip pain, come to Total Wellness Medical Centre for treatment you can trust. Our kind and compassionate professionals are experienced in treating hip pain using a variety of different therapies and can help you find relief from your symptoms. Call us today at (304) 318-7887 to book an appointment, or visit our clinic conveniently located at 1400 Society Drive Suite# 1404 Claymont, DE 19703. Our office is open five days a week: Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday from 9 AM to 6 PM, Thursday from 12 PM to 6 PM, and Friday from 8 AM to 12 PM. We serve patients from Wilmington DE, Claymont DE, New Castle DE, Greenville DE, Centerville DE, Elsmere DE, Hockessin DE, Chadds Ford PA, Garnet Valley PA, and Kennett Square PA. Looking forward to serve you!